Here’s what happened in “Trust Me,” TNT’s latest “Dallas” episode:
• John Ross got lucky. When John Ross (Josh Henderson) saw Christopher ask nebbish seismologist Howard Rieder (Christian Clemenson) to confirm whether the shale formation is within Southfork’s surface rights, John Ross tried to bribe him to make sure the test came out his way. Howard confessed the bribe to Bobby (Patrick Duffy), who was amused by John Ross’s antics and told Howard to keep the money. John Ross’s scheming turned out to be for nothing: When the test results came in, they showed the shale is indeed within the surface rights. “That settles it. … We’re fracking Southfork,” John Ross said.
• … And then John Ross got luckier. Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) asked Bum (Kevin Page) to follow John Ross to see if he’s cheating with Emma (Emma Bell). Bum photographed John Ross and Emma cavorting in John Ross’s penthouse, but Bum lied and told Sue Ellen that her son “never went near” Emma. Instead, Bum showed the pictures to John Ross, explaining that he followed him because J.R. asked him to keep an eye on John Ross. Said Bum: “Your father was a great man. He did great things. But the way he ran around on your mother was a sin — and he figured that out too late. Grow into your father’s greatness, not his weakness.”
• Pamela got suspicious. Sue Ellen wasn’t the only woman who grew concerned about John Ross’s fidelity. Pamela (Julie Gonzalo) spotted her husband flirting with his new secretary, Candice, and warned him: “If I ever find out you’ve been stepping out on me, God’s wrath will be the least of your worries.” Later, when Pamela saw John Ross chatting with a pretty blonde at the Ewing Barbecue, she danced with Nicolas (Juan Pablo Di Pace), which seemed to arouse John Ross’s jealousy.
• Elena and Nicolas got closer to the truth about the Ewings. At the Ewing Barbecue, Elena (Jordana Brewster) snooped around Bobby’s laptop and came across an email to Carlos del Sol in which he wrote, “Talked to Rhonda Simmons. She agreed to play ball with us about JR.” Elena showed the email to Nicolas and explained that Rhonda was the witness whose testimony placed Cliff in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, on the night J.R. was killed. “That’s got to mean something,” Elena said as she studied Bobby’s email.
• The Ewings got closer to the truth about Elena and Nicolas. At the Ewing Barbecue, Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) quizzed Nicolas about his business dealings with Cliff and realized the details didn’t add up. He got together with Bobby and John Ross and explained his suspicions: “I think it’s a phantom deal. Cliff and Nicolas probably never worked together, so there’s got to be some connection — some other reason — why Nicolas is doing this for Cliff.” The barbecue wasn’t all business for Christopher, though: Heather (AnnaLynne McCord) planted a kiss on him and they danced, although he seemed more than a little bothered by Nicolas’s interest in Elena.
• Carmen got put in a tough spot. On the day of the barbecue, Elena told Carmen (Marlene Forte) that she’s working with Nicolas and Cliff but didn’t provide details. “You just have to believe that everything I’m doing is justified,” Elena said. This put Carmen in a tough spot; she pretended not to know Nicolas when Ann (Brenda Strong) introduced them at the party, although when Carmen and Nicolas had a moment alone, she touched the medal around his neck and said, “If even for a moment I sense that you are leading either of my children into the darkness, not even St. Christopher will be able to save you.”
• Judith got down to business. While Bobby and Ann tried to find out how Harris (Mitch Pileggi) got out of jail, Emma sprung Judith (Judith Light) from the rehab hospital. Judith seized control of Ryland Transport and demanded Harris take her to Nuevo Laredo, where she met with drug lord Luis (Antonio Jaramillo), negotiated a new deal to smuggle his cocaine into Texas — and then sampled his product. “Hot damn! Mama like,” Judith said after snorting a few lines of coke.
• The audience got shocked. Little did Judith know Harris was secretly recording her dirty dealings. But for whom? In the final scene, we got our answer: Gun-toting federal agents brought Bobby and Ann to a darkened warehouse and told the couple to stop snooping into Harris’s release. The reason: Harris is working with the CIA to bring down the Mendez-Ochoa cartel. Harris emerged from the shadows and told Bobby and Ann their questions are jeopardizing his sting against the cartel. “They have pictures of our daughter — and you, Annie,” Harris said. “Now if they find out who I’m working for, they’ll kill both you and Emma.”
What did you think of “Trust Me”? Share your comments below and look for Dallas Decoder’s critique later this week.